To promote knowledge sharing and increase awareness on key economic themes across all economic agents and provide opportunities to Emirati youth to directly contribute to economic development of the UAE.
- Integrate academia into economic development and business practices
- Empower youth to contribute toward economic development
- Promote of applied academic research
- Stimulate innovation and creativity
- Recognize and award efforts and academic excellence
IMPORTANT DATES AND DEADLINES
- Academic institutions and selected teams of students will engage in drafting policy briefs based on plenary and panel sessions’ discussions at the UAE Economic Forum 2019.
- At least four academic institutions will take part in the program nominating at least two teams. Each team will be composed of at least 2 and maximum 4 students.
- Nominating university will also assign at least one academic advisor to guide and mentor own teams teams, and ensure quality of their submission.
- Approved teams will receive full access to all Forum sessions and an opportunity to have a follow up discussion with session panelists and participants.
- Student teams will contextualize the session topic and discussions, provide a brief synopsis of presentations/discussions and conclude with session policy recommendations. Teams will also provide their own policy recommendations relating to session topic.
- Preparation of policy briefs will be supervised by relevant academic staff and submitted to Dubai DED for evaluation.
- The best policy brief for each session will be recognized and awarded.
- Any tertiary education institution licensed by the Ministry of Education
- Final and third year students of economics, business and related subjects
- Teams composed of at least two and maximum four students
- Single university may nominate only one team per Forum session
- Final policy briefs must be submitted latest by Sunday, 26 December 2019
SUBMIT YOUR INTEREST
YOUNG ECONOMIST CHALLENGE 2019
THE UAE ENTERPRISING ECONOMY:
RESILIENCE, GROWTH & PROSPERITY
As countries the world over are resetting their paths to competitiveness, growth and prosperity, the UAE remains steadfast on its own path that its leadership has defined decades ago: openness to trade, investment, people and ideas; diversity of the workforce; entrepreneurial spirit and culture; and, collaboration and cluster development. This has paved the way for the emergence of a business-friendly environment in the UAE that is the best in the Arab region, and 11th globally in the World Bank Ease of Doing Business 2019 report.
Put together, the set of economic policy choices that the UAE leadership has taken has given rise to the emergence of the Enterprising Economy, a new and unique economic development model where leadership, vision, inclusiveness and courage play a decisive role in driving sustainable growth and generating prosperity.
The Enterprising Economy is an economy where, in the words of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Vice President and Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai “when people hesitate due to changes in economic conditions, we sprint to change; and when they are afraid of the future, we rush to build it.”
The UAE Enterprising Economy is a development model driven by a visionary leadership that thinks ahead and courageously. It engages all stakeholders in defining clear and transparent targets through successive strategic plans that provide detailed road maps of where we, public and private actors, want to be next year and the years that will follow. The maps and the targets are the result of continuous engagement, discussions and then agreements with all the stakeholders. Importantly, the government plays a participatory, regulatory and coordinating role in the execution of the plans, taking bold actions and investing its own resources in launching new, innovative projects, and in doing so acts as a catalyst for private sector investment.
It is within this context that the inaugural UAE Economic Forum is being organized. Private sector champions, policy makers and experts will share their views and experiences and highlight options for the future. Each panel discussion will be followed by a Q&A session.